Single post

Drive Cleanup Wizard

(click for larger view)

Drive Cleanup Wizard

• Permanently delete left-over Windows Temporary Files
  • Empty all files, in all User Profiles, with extensions .bak, .~, .tmp
  • Easily specify custom, multiple file-types to search and destroy
  • Empty Temporary Internet Files and the Recycle Bin
  • Ability to choose between normal Windows File Deletion or use the Wipe Files feature which first fills each file with hex #00 and then deletes them!
  • Helps Administrators delete junk from all User Profiles as opposed to the Windows Disk Cleanup utility that works only with the logged in user
  • It’s absolutely safe, and tested. Shows you a list of files it’s going to delete before it actually does.
  • Suppose you want to delete all files in a particular drive with extensions .pw, this wizard makes it easy
  • Should work on Windows 98 and above. Tested only with Windows 2000 and above.
  • It’s absolutely free!

• Click here for the Drive Cleanup Wizard Installer. Comes with an uninstaller for easy removal.

• This software is presented under the GPL and comes with no support and no warranties whatsoever. Use at your own risk.
  • Microsoft Office and Microsoft Money users: Please do not use the .BAK filter if you don’t have the Office/Money Installation CD around. Office stores a file called data.bak (for whatever reason) in it’s installation directory that is deleted by this filter. If deleted, you will be prompted to use the installation CD the next time you run the application. (Thanks Joe)

June 11th, 2004 at 6:36 am

Hello, I just downloaded this tool. Thanks. I’m new to computers don’t really know how or what I should clean. I appreciate it being free also.

June 13th, 2004 at 9:15 pm

Hi. I just downloaded drive clean up wizard and so far it works great. Keep up the great work and thanks for a user friendly tool.

June 21st, 2004 at 5:26 pm

Does this ultility clean things so that file recovery programs cannot ever retrieve deleted files?

Mikhail Esteves
June 21st, 2004 at 8:04 pm

Julian: Yes. It has a “Wipe” feature that wipes files out irrecoverably.

June 24th, 2004 at 7:51 am

Pretty cool! Easy to use, and it’s free too! I found it on snapfiles.

July 1st, 2004 at 3:09 pm

I have a drive that has corrupted files that are locked and unmoveable. They appear in the graphic display of my defrag program but nothing will tell me what they are. How do I identify these files so that I can erase or remove them?

charles stone
July 12th, 2004 at 2:16 am

Thanks for letting me try your software.

July 15th, 2004 at 12:14 pm

really helpfull utility. thanks

August 24th, 2004 at 8:32 pm

this old programmer is with mucho gratitude for this cleaner. I have manualy cleaned these same files since the days of albuquerque, sundowner.

Richard Prisco
October 4th, 2004 at 8:30 pm

Hi Jackol!,

I looked all over for command options. That I could see, I could not find anything. Are there any command options? Because this is a very nice and simple program. Thank you! :)

Best regards,

October 12th, 2004 at 7:20 pm

Hi Richard: There are no command line options. Didn’t think of it as a batch app but as something run like once a month or something. :)

Jef Owen
October 15th, 2004 at 10:27 pm

Hey, this is a great program! Is there any way you could add an exclusions field? That way, we could specify specific filename(s) that would NOT be deleted. If a complete path was also given, then that filename could be excluded ONLY if it was found in the given path. Thanks again!

October 30th, 2004 at 7:39 am

I see where there are no command line options. I just need two to autoclean and autoclose with (no user intervention).
This is because I am currently able to automate virus and spyware removal through an automated process of running McAfee, Norton, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Spysweeper. These are installed/run one right after another without intervention. This is for computers that come into the shop. I want to add removing temp files.
Any chance of a /autorun being added as a command line parameter?

October 31st, 2004 at 10:17 am

Great app — very handy. One comment: the .tmp filter catches .tmpl files as well. Otherwise, awesome. Thanks!

Burton Smith
October 31st, 2004 at 10:59 pm

How do I download just the Drive Cleanup Wizard. Every link I click on brings back this page. However, I am now downloading from the link for the Wizard and Source.

November 1st, 2004 at 3:53 am

Cool app. Could use one additional feature—Find and delete 0 byte files.

Ary Previato
November 1st, 2004 at 4:17 am

Dear sirs,
I downloaded DCW , but receive a msg “4.041 is not a valid floating point value”. Pls inform how I can solve this problem.

November 1st, 2004 at 4:21 am

I am wanting to get into programming. I would like to be able to use your program and adapt it a little for my personal usage. Would you be willing to help me get started? What would I need to do this? Do I need a compiler and where can I get one?

November 1st, 2004 at 1:48 pm

Ary/Buzz: I haven’t faced this problem. Please check if any third-party application on your machine is causing this error.

Larry: Email me and I can help you out.

SuperGlide/Art: I’ll work on integrating this feature.

November 1st, 2004 at 7:16 pm

I get a message telling me this may be unsafe to run because the publisher is unknown.

November 1st, 2004 at 7:32 pm

As with everyone here, I agree this is a wonderful little utility, but I also agree with Jef that an EXclusion feature would be VERY helpful. My PDA sync application stupidly still stores its backup files as .bak and I’d prefer not to lose them :)

November 1st, 2004 at 7:36 pm

I tried DriveCleanWizard a little today. It is a neat program. One thing you may consider to add: Netscape/Mozilla cache files to delete.

Best Regards.

Doug Magill
November 1st, 2004 at 8:14 pm

I cannot read most of your site. There is insufficient contrast between text and background.

Karl Whisennand
November 1st, 2004 at 9:47 pm

I used the Disk Cleaner via Microsoft and then Drive Cleanup Wizard and got rid of a lot more files (forgot to check the before and after free space sizes on my C: Drive). Good work. Only negative (unless i just don’t know how to do it), when DCR gives the listing of files to be removed, I can’t expand the window size or get to the end of a line—so not sure what file is really being removed. Had to take it on faith. It worked out o.k. but was scary (probably should not have done it!). How do I get the complete name of each file being removed to show?

November 1st, 2004 at 11:10 pm

I downloaded this last night and used it. This morning my Outlook 2000 trys to continuely install itself. I open the program and it asks for the installation disc to install Frontpage and I cannot check e-mail. All my cookies are gone. Cable speed is crawling. I went to system restore and nada……can’t get it where it once was. What happened?

Jim Hawley
November 1st, 2004 at 11:26 pm

Someone mentioned exclusions – one referred to PDA synch files with .BAK extensions. I just downloaded and ran DCW and noticed that Adobe Photoshop Album template files have .tmpl extensions – which DCW also tags for deletion.

November 1st, 2004 at 11:39 pm

Jim: You’re right. The tmp filter deletes tmpl files too. This will be corrected in the next version.

jbuck: That’s weird. I use Outlook too. The application does delete cookies if the “Delete Temporary Internet Files” option is selected. I can’t see how this problem occurred. Could you check if you did something else to trigger this weird behavior?

Karl: I’ll add a horizontal scroll bar in the next version. Thanks for the feedback.

Doug: Please try with increased monitor contrast :)

Mick: I have not tested the recently updated version with Windows 95.

Michele: That’s probably a message IE gives you when downloading it. Nothing to worry about.

November 2nd, 2004 at 3:51 am

got your site from langalist,what’s a,borland delphi source???

November 2nd, 2004 at 11:24 am

I downloaded your program and cleaned out the old files and now I am having problems trying to run Bicycle card games that were previously working perfectly. I keep getting the error: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. SYSTEM FILE NOT SUITABLE FOR RUNNING MS-DOS & MS WINDOWS APPLICATIONS. I did a system restore to the day before I installed your program, but this didn’t solve the problem. I looked in the program uninstall in control panel, but there is no listing for the Bicycle games. I tried to redo the setup from the disk, but I get the same error message. WHAT HAPPENED???????

November 2nd, 2004 at 12:16 pm

dan: Borland Delphi is an Object Pascal based development environment.

Gary: This is weird. There are similar complaints on top and I’m looking at these. I’ve not had any such problems when running this tool in a variety of machines. There is no way it would touch files named autoexec.nt unless you specified the filter manually. I’ll get back to you on this.

November 3rd, 2004 at 3:05 am

Office XP Users: This program will delete Microsoft\Office\Data\DATA.BAK requiring you to reinstall some office pieces next time you try to run Outlook.

Marih Zerep
November 3rd, 2004 at 6:47 am

Great software. Short and sweet. How can we keep the entries on additional files to be deleted to show up for the next execution.

MZ ;-)

November 3rd, 2004 at 5:18 pm

The clean-up box seems to be unadjustable as for size. I had several lines too long to show me the actual file name being deleted. Why can’t the box be adjusted (to full screen, for example)?

Jacquie Amer
November 4th, 2004 at 8:11 am

I wanted to run your disk clean up wizard, however, digital signature could not be verified.

November 4th, 2004 at 9:40 am

The program deleted the file PROPLUS.MSI from Office XP so now when I try to open any Office application it trys to install it. I do not have the install CD and it seems the only way to remedy this is borrow one. Be careful and check what this deletes. Some boards have said that this MSI file resides in the temp folder and that is how it was whacked. Anyway you cut it it still sucks to have this happen.

November 5th, 2004 at 5:22 am

MS Money 2004 users: you will be prompted to reinstall after running this program.

November 7th, 2004 at 7:17 pm

I get the same result as Hal on Windows XP SP2:

Drive Cleanup Wizard gives a Runtime error 216 @ 00403196 and closes on my WinXP SP2 machine.

S Bruce Mac Callum
November 17th, 2004 at 10:14 pm

This is an endorsement from s person who is deaf and dumb, the result of brain surgery in 1974 to remove a pituitary adenoma and acoustic nerve neuroma and, July 6, 1974 and then hematomas from the area where the adenema was found to be encasing the optic nerve Feb 16, 1984. I was awared my Federal Public Service Disability Pension Benefits, June 23, 1986 and my CPP Disability Pension Benefits. Nov 23, 1986. This is linked to the out of court settlement received from the National Capital Commission after my fall on their property
during the 1984 Ottawa Winter Carnival (Feb 1984)

November 18th, 2004 at 9:37 am

Excellent tool, recommended by tudongs. Just downloaded and ran it now – it found a whole bunch of obscure files other cleaners had not found.

Graham King
November 18th, 2004 at 9:39 am

Err, that should be “tudogs” – sorry Sheina.

Tony Trassare
November 25th, 2004 at 7:01 am

I have a WinXP Pro temp file that won’t delete. Any access to the file causes the computer to start a process that uses 100% of the CPU time. Click on the file either right or left mouse button locks up the system. Your Drive Clean did the same thing. If I try to rename the file it takes over the CPU. The file is in C:/DocumentsandSettings/username/LocalSettings/Temp/~WRF005.tmp. Any suggestions?

November 26th, 2004 at 2:29 am

I enjoyed this site very much and have taken away a better insight. I will recommend this site to everyone I know. More people should step into .

December 1st, 2004 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for your site!

Fred Blackman
December 15th, 2004 at 7:17 am

Thanks much for the Drive Cleanup Wizard. It works well with Windows XP Professional with Sp2 installed.

Ralph Bain
January 30th, 2005 at 2:59 am

Hello: I used your cleanup wizard after it was recommended by F. Langa. No problem on Computer #1. Use on Computer #2 resulted in the loss of all my OutLook Express messages and folders. Any suggetions for recovery of those files and messages would be welcome.

January 31st, 2005 at 10:31 am

Ralph: I have run this wizard on multiple machines that run Outlook Express. I have never come across any problems.

Please check if there was another reason for the corruption. Drive Cleanup Wizard does not touch files that are not in TEMP locations.

Comments are closed.